Kroger’s New Coupon Policy: No More Double Coupons Effective March 1st

by Katie on February 1, 2013

Kroger released a new coupon policy for the Cincinnati & Dayton regions this morning.  Effective March 1st, Kroger will no longer double coupons.  Starting on this date, all coupons will be redeemed at their face value.

According to Kroger, they will be rolling out a new line of their Lower Prices Campaign.  These lower prices will be introduced on a number of items throughout the store.

I have to admit, this came as a shock to me, as I’m sure it will to many of you reading this.  So, what are your thoughts?  Will you remain a loyal Kroger shopper, or will your grocery dollars be going somewhere else?

• Facebook
  • Twitter

{ 14 comments… read them below or add one }

Megan February 1, 2013 at 12:47 pm

This makes me sad. I will have to see what their new “Lower Prices Campaign” is like before I decide to take my business elsewhere.

Megan February 1, 2013 at 12:47 pm

Jesse February 1, 2013 at 1:16 pm

I will see what happens. My fear is that Meijer will follow suit soon. For the Mason area, its our only other alternative for double coupons since Remke’s closed in the fall.

kt bailey February 1, 2013 at 1:32 pm

I live in Indiana so my local shopping choices are limited-Kroger (Lawrenceburg and Batesville) or Wal-Mart (Aurora) or the smaller grocery stores- JayC, IGA, Aldi, etc.

This makes me very frustrated and disappointed. I may shop more at Meijer when I am in the Florence, Ky, area, but considering my location and the availability, Kroger knows they got me.

I am a couponer, so this will affect my budget greatly. As for the “lower prices”, I am not sure if this will offset the double coupon difference because certain items, like flour, sugar, milk, etc are sometimes cheaper already at Wal-Mart or Aldi.

Katie

Kym February 1, 2013 at 1:54 pm

They have done a couple of things in the last year to aggravate me including changing their reward program for non-profits. The new one makes participation much more difficult than their previous program. The not-for-profit that gets credit for my Kroger shopping saw their donation drop to about 15% of what it was in past years. Since it used that money to send underprivileged children to summer camp that they may not be able to help as many children this summer.

And now this! I rely heavily upon double-coupons in my grocery budget. It is one of the reasons I shun their digital coupons – which do not double – unless the digital is for an item for which I d0 not have a paper coupon or is valued at $1 or above. Perhaps this is the reason they are stopping the double coupons? They want us to use more digital ones!

I will need to see how great their lower price items really are, but given these 2 changes in policy I see myself switching more of my business to Aldi, Meijer, Remke-Biggs, and Wal-Mart. My Aldi and Remke-Biggs are right across the street from my Kroger.

Brian February 1, 2013 at 2:32 pm

They will regret it, There is no way the lower prices will offset double coupons. For me, I would do my non coupon grocery shopping and coupon deals at Kroger because of the fuel points. But with this new coupon change, its not only is going to turn away Us Couponers but I believe it will turn away the average shopper who uses coupons. Here in the Dayton area they have built a few of the Kroger Marketplaces so they have got bigger then they think they have, Walmart, Meijer and Target have better deals on alot of things then Kroger already, Meat is about the only thing they have better deals on, If Walmart would start doubling, and Meijer would start doubling more then two they would kill Kroger and force them to bring back doubles. This is also going to kill our smaller neighborhood kroger stores, I think another reason is here in Dayton we lost all of our cub foods stores which makes for less competetion. So in my opinion is if you own stock in kroger sell sell sell, cause I believe they are headed for a loss. They dont realize that the extreme couponers bring them more revenue then they think and will wish they never done this.

debbie February 1, 2013 at 9:47 pm

I think this is a huge mistake on there part.I have been doing coupons long before the show extreme couponers but soon after stores caught on they changed there policies . Now see what they have done. I know I will be shopping elsewhere. Krogers is to big of a corporation to use the excuse we cant afford to pay for the doubling . They re just to greedy.

Amber February 2, 2013 at 6:27 am

That stinks, we rely on the use of double coupons to get a lot of the things we buy. I hope things change and they will go back to doubling. We may be become primarily Meijer shoppers!

Shayleen Lunt February 2, 2013 at 9:53 am

I think the newspaper sells will see a hit too. I don’t know that I’ll continue to even buy coupons because using them in my area will be very limited now when Kroger quits doubling and I don’t think it will be worth buying coupons and spending time with it if I’m not getting the double face value anymore. My only hope is that more coupons will be for a higher face value now, but that is very high hoping! Aldi, here I come!

Randy February 2, 2013 at 9:57 am

I have an idea if everybody who can will do it. Let’s boycott Kroger ! ! Might as well take advantage of Walmarts “Price Match” guarantee since Kroger will no longer be doubling coupons. If everybody will just take your Kroger ad to Walmart and shop there with your face value coupons, we’ll see how long Kroger will stick to their “new lower” prices! Not only that, also send Kroger an e-mail and let them know how frustraing this is going to be and it’s not to late for them to change their minds.

LouAnn February 2, 2013 at 10:12 am

Oh, I am really bummed. I admit that we are primarily Meijer shoppers – in general their prices are always lower than Krogers. But when Kroger has a mega deal and doubles coupons then I definitely take a list in there! And I do like the gas points. However, if they stop doubling then their prices will never compete with Meijer – especially if Meijer continues to double.
My fear is that Meijer will stop doubling also – because they won’t need to for competition. This is a huge bummer. With prices of everything going up, I may have to work my business more instead of spending time couponing!

Mary R. February 2, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Our Kroger was remodeled into a Kroger Marketplace. They dropped so many items and/or varieties that I routinely purchased, to make room for seasonal and housewares items, that I will never buy there. I have been forced to shop at WalMart too. Kroger’s double coupons kept me shopping there. Our WalMart is cheaper on a lot of items. I will probably do most of my shopping at WalMart and buy sale items at Kroger. They have done nothing to deserve my loyalty.

Lori February 2, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Well good bey Kroger and Hello Meijer and Walmart! I have been a loyal customer for 20+ years. What a shame.

Kristina February 3, 2013 at 1:17 pm

I am in Columbus and thankfully they haven’t dropped doubling yet. But if they do I’ll become primarily a Meijer shopper.